POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic Moon : Re: Realistic Moon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic Moon
From: Skip Talbot
Date: 19 Sep 2006 12:11:23
Message: <451016ab$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar wrote:
> Is it possible with Pov-Ray to simulate a moonlit scene realisticly? The
> moon  should reflect the sun's light on earth with resulting shadows on
> earth.

Nekar, I'm no lighting expert, but from what I have observed, the moon
produces sharp edged shadows like the sun (although the contrast is low
because the light is so dim).  The remaining light is that blue light
you get scattered from the atmosphere.  My suggestion would be to use a
dim point light aligned with the position of the moon and a dark blue
sky_sphere with radiosity.

If you are trying to render a space scene, however, I would put a point
light inside the moon and use light groups to control the illumination
of the scene.  The sun would illuminate the moon, but the point light
inside would be the actual light emitter from the moon.

The most realistic approach would be using radiosity with probably set
texture finishes for the moon/sun/earth.  Then the light from the moon
would actually be reflected from the sun.  But computing pure radiosity
from such widely spaced points sounds like its asking for trouble.

Skip