POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 20:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Sep 2006 14:23:57
Message: <45099e3d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Btw, could you finally give me even a slight hint at how GC knows
> that an object is not used anylonger?

GIYF.

Try ".net garbage collection" to see how .net does it, which is more
sophisticated than the "mark and sweep" algorithm Orchid described.

>   What you write sounds like it knows it by magic.

No more than a compiler knows "by magic" what you meant, or a SQL engine
knows "by magic" how to best order the operations to get good performance.

> be reference counting!) then how? The GC has to also make a difference
> between a reference being actually used in the currently-executed code
> and an orphan reference.

Yep. In the other message you already followed up to, I put both a
simplistic description and a number of links.  If you still have
questions, feel free to ask. I'll assume you followed that up.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Just because you find out you are