POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 22:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2006 18:56:49
Message: <45088cb1@news.povray.org>
> Not necessarily. They're pointed to by the object that represents the
> list as a whole. What pointer would you drop to make the list
> garbage-collect with a reference-count GC?

  How do languages where there no concept of "new" (as in Java or C++)
nor a Java-style GC of dynamically allocated objects do it?

> Plus, reference counting has very bad performance as well as being
> non-real-time and uninterruptable.

  Very bad performance? I think that incrementing/decrementing a counter
each time an object is copied doesn't increase too much of its slowness.
(Naturally in situations where you have to locally copy things a lot
you would not use dynamically allocated copies anyways, assuming the
language supports local instances.)

--
                                                          - Warp