POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 22:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 13 Sep 2006 10:56:37
Message: <45081c25@news.povray.org>
>> And I'm not sure how you would do a whole bunch of simple things
>> *without* such objects.
>
>   Exactly like hundreds of programming languages do.

OK, well how would you build (say) a linked list structure if the new
node goes out of scope as soon as you get to the end of the function
that creates it and adds it to the list?

>> I have no idea why after all these years people still think reference
>> counting is a good idea. It's so trivial to find an example where it
>> utterly fails...
>
>   Care to give this trivial example?

OK, how about a double-linked list?

Every node (except the end ones) always has 2 other nodes pointing to
it. Hence the reference count will never reach zero. QED.