POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pigment functions... : Re: Pigment functions... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigment functions...
From: How Camp
Date: 13 Sep 2006 08:41:59
Message: <4507fc97$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message

> BTW, if you have image_maps in your scene...and you want them to stay
> looking the same no matter what assumed_gamma you throw at
> them...converting them to the png format is the way to go.  But there's a
> hitch: You have to "embed" an assumed_gamma of 1 into them somehow. This
> is
> kind of a little quirk (?) with POV-Ray, but a useful one.

This is only tangentially related, but perhaps someone can explain the
browser issues with PNGs and gAMA chunks:

http://pmt.sourceforge.net/gamma_test/
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma-test-results/

Is it a browser issue, or is PNG the problem?  I have heard both arguments,
but I don't understand exactly what's going on.

Anyone care to shed some light?

- How