POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 20:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2006 05:38:56
Message: <4507d1af@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> I'd be interested in your comments on Java.  It *seems* to have some handy
> features...like inherent "garbage collection," for instance, that make
> programming with it supposedly much easier (than C++, that is.)

  The POV-Ray SDL doesn't have an explicit "garbage collection" engine
because there is no 'new', no references nor nothing, yet it manages
quite well. In fact, most scripting and programming languages do not
have the kind of "GC" that Java has and they do just fine. GC (as in Java)
is in no way a requirement for safe code.

  You mention GC as if it was some kind of requirement for safe OOP
languages. There's no such connection. It's only necessary for languages
where objects are allocated dynamically and don't go out of scope by
themselves. I'm not even sure *why* Java has such objects. It could
perfectly work without them (just remove 'new' and use internally
some kind of reference-counting copy-on-write system).

--
                                                          - Warp