POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 20:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 13 Sep 2006 04:09:33
Message: <4507bcbd@news.povray.org>
>> BTW, I was thinking about just inventing my own new SDL language and
>> writting a program that can convert it to standard POV-Ray SDL. But,
>> unfortunately, this would of course involve writing a parse, so that
>> project never really got anywhere...
>
>   A project like that would be more or less a waste of time.

...so in other words, pretty much like *every* project I start? ;-)

>   A new SDL language should be such that it can be interpreted even
> at render time (in order to create, among other things, shaders).

Well at the moment everybody is focused on finishing the new beta. I'm
not on the dev team, but I imagine they won't be finished any time soon,
given the scope of the changes.

Also, as far as I'm aware, making a brand new SDL that breaks all
existing scenes isn't high up on their priority list either.

Theoretically I could make a patch to the existing POV-Ray source code -
except that since I can't read C that might be slightly difficult...

So my plan was to write a preprocessor. Obviously it's never going to
add any new features to POV-ray, but it could make it easier to describe
scenes algorithmicly.