POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? : Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the POV-ray SDL--similar to Java and/or Python?
From: Warp
Date: 12 Sep 2006 11:15:00
Message: <4506cef3@news.povray.org>
George Pantazopoulos <go### [at] tomyaboutpage> wrote:
> This would have benefits for parallel rendering, since a fast machine could
> parse the scene, then distribute the pre-parsed scene info to other nodes.

  Parsing the SDL is actually often not the slowest part of the whole
parsing step. The vast majority of time usually goes into allocating
and setting up the objects and such.

  The exception is when the SDL has loops which loop a lot, in which
case a bytecode would speed up this interpretation. (For example, I once
compared the speed of an SDL code which just prints an ascii mandelbrot
set to stdout with a completely equivalent Perl code, and the latter was
approximately 13 times faster. This is because Perl compiles to bytecode
and then interprets that.)

--
                                                          - Warp