POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : *.pov file reading : Re: *.pov file reading Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:08:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: *.pov file reading
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 8 Sep 2006 05:10:40
Message: <45013390$1@news.povray.org>
> YOU ARE RIGHT, DEBIAN POVRAY-3.6 HAS A KNOWN BUG. I INSTALLED POVRAY-3.5
> (3.5.0C-10) DEBIAN.

	You are of course free to deal with a version that was released more than
*four* years ago and which is known to have weaknesses (in particular the Debian
package for 3.50c contains unofficial, unstable extensions).  POV-Ray 3.6 has been
released two years ago already, after thorough testing; yet the Debian maintainers
did not succeed to provide with a working binary as of today.

> FROM DEBIAN IT WAS
> QUICKER AND I AM SURE ABOUT ALL DEPENDENCIES.

	POV-Ray 3.6.x for Linux contains no external dependencies, while the Debian
package of 3.50c has dependencies to unsupported and outdated libraries.

	Besides, if you start having problems with the povray.conf settings in 3.50c,
I'm sorry to tell that you will be on your own to solve them (hint: you will have
to search back in this newsgroup).

	- NC