POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released : Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:44:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 2 Sep 2006 04:41:38
Message: <44f943c2$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I am pretty sure even if you can't see any differences you will be able
> see them when actually calculating the difference between the images
> (can't well do that with your example since it is jpg-compressed).  The
> difference might be small in a lot of cases but with critical settings
> it can be large enough to be visible (in the extreme case you don't do
> any pretrace like Gilles for example did in a lot of cases).

   You are right, the stats report about 1-2% of new samples. But almost
in all my recent scenes this leads to invisible artifacts. On the
difference image you have to raise brightness and contrast to the
maximum to see them. But curiously, the artifacts do not seem to
visually have any relation with the tiles... they seem a global thing.

   In any case, I suppose this happens also when I distribute manually a
rendering over my machines. And as I always use the two-pass radiosity
method, the only difference for me when using XRS is that I need much
less effort and time to obtain the same result.

--
Jaime