POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D Mesh Painting Software : Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software
From: St
Date: 1 Sep 2006 15:04:36
Message: <44f88444@news.povray.org>
"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote in message
> Steve:
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've got the materials figured out pretty well in Wings.  I guess I should
> have been more clear in
> my original post on what I am currently doing and what I am looking for.

     No, not your bad, my bad.

> I am currently using the AutoUV feature in Wings to create a UV texture
> map, which I then "make
> external" from the outliner window.  I then use a copy of the image as an
> overlay layer in Gimp to
> paint the texture that I want.  I can then refresh the image map in Wings
> to see my progress.

    Now this, I'm aware of, but haven't tried yet. To be honest, when I read
about it, it put me off because I thought that it would be time-consuming.

I can
> then use Gimp to create a bump map using the overlay that I created
> before, but I don't know of any
> way to quickly review the effect of the bump map until the finial render
> in POV-Ray.

     I see. Yes, a quick way would be good. I too, have the same problem.

> After that, I export the object from Wings as a Wavefront (obj) file and
> open it up in PoseRay.  I
> load the material map and bump map into PoseRay, then export to a POV-Ray
> scene.  I can then use the
> objects that are exported in the POV-Ray scene to create a final scene.

      That's what I do. (Apart from using bump and material maps in PoseRay,
I usually edit the material file by hand and add bumps if needed).

> What I'd like is a tool to 3-D paint the texture and bump maps.  It's
> really time consuming to go
> back and forth between editing in Gimp, then refreshing in Wings or
> PoseRay to see the result, then
> going back to Gimp to edit.  Wash, rinse, repeat...

      Yes, I know what you're saying - it 'is' a lot of work, but for the
moment, I think that's all we've got.

> Tattoo is such a tool, but it is very raw and I cannot seem to figure out
> how to pre-load textures
> that have already been created.

    Well, I've been trying to figure Tattoo out all day for you, and I still
don't have a clue! I'm thinking that maybe the non-trial version will allow
such a method, but I don't know. That program is SO weird! It seems at first
glance that it's the answer to all UV hassles, but, no, it isn't. There are
too many questions to be answered as in how to actually use it 'properly'.
You load a simple model, you play with it, and everything seems to be 'left
in the air' as to what to do next. I had quite a few bugs hitting me like I
couldn't get any brushes to show up with one particular (simple) model,
tried another model and then had this weird shape on the screen instead of a
standard brush. Had quite a few memory exception errors too. Shame really,
as it looks like it has real potential.

> Hopefully, this is a better explanation of what I'm doing and what I'm
> looking for.

     Oh, of course it was, but that was my fault, not yours.

       Keep Poving!

       ~Steve~