POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D Mesh Painting Software : Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:03:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software
From: St
Date: 31 Aug 2006 16:15:30
Message: <44f74362@news.povray.org>
"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to find a good application to paint 3d meshes in real time.
> I'm currently building
> meshes in Wings3d, then painting the textures in Gimp.  I keep the mesh
> loaded in PoseRay so that I
> can get a general idea of how the texture will look before I export the
> mesh to POV-Ray.  Anyway,
> I've tried Tattoo, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.  Anyone have
> any other, preferably
> freeware, suggestions?

   Hi Kyle

      Stick with Wings. Load a simple model - a sphere. Don't highlight
anything, and RC the window, then hit > 'material'. You'll get a 'new
material' box in that window - rename it to what you want it to be. Play
around with the 'material properties' until satisfied, and then hit
'outliner' in the 'window' drop-down menu. LC some faces on the sphere and
THEN LC your re-named material in the outliner box > THEN RC that name, and
then hit 'assign to selection'. You will then have your material assigned to
those faces selected. Import the model into PoseRay, and it will show you
what you have done. EDIT those materials in PoseRay, and  you *should* end
up with what you want.

    I tried this for the first time recently, and I'm not 100% sure that
I've got the editing in PoseRay correct - although, I was certainly
satisfied with the way Wings handles the 'materials' side of it.

    Hope this helps a little - just have a play...  ;)

    (I'm still learning this too, so if anyone has any useful pointers in
this direction with Wings, I'd be more than satisfied to learn them).

            ~Steve~