POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface speed : Ooo... a solution? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:54:41 EDT (-0400)
  Ooo... a solution?
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 28 Aug 2006 10:58:01
Message: <44f30479$1@news.povray.org>
I just had a brainwave!

I changed fn(x, y, z) to log(fn(x, y, z)), and changed the max_gradient
to 4. I'm now getting several thousand pixels/second.

Of course - the logarithm function makes the crazy vertical sides less
"vertical", while not flattening out the parts near the solutions so
POV-Ray still has some contours to go on.

(I read somewhere that dividing your function by a big number makes
max_gradient lower, but doesn't make it trace any faster. But this trick
makes the big numbers small, but leaves the small numbers alone so
POV-Ray doesn't go around taking tiny steps there any more.)