POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Warp
Date: 27 Aug 2006 22:16:03
Message: <44f251e2@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> I tried it because I suspected the 80 bits / 64 bits problem: maybe gcc
> would feel freer to keep the double in 80 bits precision.

  'double' is 64-bit in x86 architectures (and in fact in most other
architectures too). If you want a 80-bit fp number, use 'long double'.

> But it did not change anything.

  As I said, the 'register' keyword is a no-op. I would bet that most
if not all modern compilers simply ignore it completely (except when
checking for correct syntactical usage, just for backwards compatibility;
after that check they most probably just drop it completely).

--
                                                          - Warp