POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need Help With Radiosity : Re: Need Help With Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Help With Radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 18 Aug 2006 23:03:47
Message: <44e67f93@news.povray.org>
Cherry363 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 18/08/2006 11:16:
> "Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote:
>> "Cherry363" <che### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>>> Sorry to be such a bother, but I tried to enter the settings you suggested
>>> and I keep getting errors....this is how I entered it:
>>>
>>> global_settings {radiosity {count 200, error_bound 1}{ max_trace_level 100
>>> ambient_light rgb<0.830000, 0.830000, 0.830000> assumed_gamma 1.0}
>>> // sunlight
>>> light_source { < 4226.182699, 14281.480312, 9063.078165 >, rgb <1.000000,
>>> 1.000000, 1.000000>
>>>  parallel point_at < -0.422618, -1.428148, -0.906308 > fade_power 0}
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> The radiosity line keeps getting errored....what am I doing wrong?
>>>
>> To have a good radiosity scene, I normally turn off ambient_light.  In this
>> case, I think that is what's getting in the way.
>>
>> change it to say:
>> "ambient_light off" for a full radiosity scene
>>
>> It's possible that this could cause you other problems (if everything goes
>> black), but if it's a radiosity scene, even with relatively "weak"
>> radiosity, you should be fine.
>>
>> I hope that helps.  If not, we'll figure it out.
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy M. Praay
>> www.beantoad.com
>

> Hi everyone!
>
> Thanks for all the help so far.  I'm trying to implement your ideas, but I
> keep getting errors on the radiosity line.  The problem is this.....I do
> not understand how to change the global settings line.  I don't know how to
> enter things in the right order, or place.  What would really help me, is
> for somebody to copy and paste EXACTLY what the global settings block
> should look like, from top to bottom, with everything shown.  Because I
> have no idea whatsoever what any of these settings mean, or where to put
> them.  It is very frustrating, because Chief Architect uses the PovRay
> program, but my CA is malfunctioning and the internal PovRay won't work.
> In Chief, all you have to do is select the level of radiosity (none, low,
> med, or high), select the level of anti-aliasing, and click start.
> Super-easy.  No need to enter settings, no need to know the PovRay
> language.....it's all just done automatically!  I just really need to "see"
> what the block should look like with high radiosity settings.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Strict minimum global_settings for a radiosity scene using all default parameters:
global_settings{radiosity{}}
With high settings:
global_settings{
	radiosity{pretrace_start 0.08 // tiles of 8% of the render size for the
pretrace part
		pretrace_end 0.00125 // tiles of 0.125% the render size. 7 pretrace steps.
		count 1600 // Maximum value allowed. Affect rendering speed.
		error_bound 0.2 // Big effect on rendering speed.
		low_error_factor 0.1 // how much error_bound is reduced during the last
pretrace step.
		nearest_count 20 //integer, 4 to 20
		media on // OPTIONAL! If you have emissive media that you want to shed light.
		normal on // OPTIONAL! To enable normal to be evaluated for the radiosity.
Huge effect on the render speed.
		}
	}

It's advisable to place the radiosity block before or after everything else, on
it's own line(s), as it can improve readability.

--
Alain
Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?