POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need Help With Radiosity : Re: Need Help With Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Help With Radiosity
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 17 Aug 2006 14:36:04
Message: <44e4b714$1@news.povray.org>
"Cherry363" <che### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Hello......I am hoping somebody can help me with radiosity settings.  I
> import my scenes into PovRay from Chief Architect, and almost all of the
> settings I need automatically come with my import, but the scenes are set
> to no radiosity.  I need to up the quality of light in my renderings, but
> have no idea how to set radiosity to what would be a medium-high level.
> Can somebody please give me very specific instructions on how to do this
> (I
> have tried reading the documentation with PovRay and I don't understand at
> all how to do this!)

In addition to Sherry's advice, if you need further help, you could also
post a sample scene to the povray.binaries.images group.  Good radiosity
settings are generally very dependent upon the other lighting and objects in
an image.  In other words, what works well in one situation will not work
well in another.

Another short answer is simply to keep increasing "count" and keep lowering
"error_bound" until you see something that looks good.  That barely
scratches the surface, if you want good quality that renders in a reasonable
time, but it's a good start.

e.g.

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  radiosity {
    count 200
    error_bound 1
  }
}

Decreasing "error_bound" (imho) will create deeper shadows, whereas
increasing "count" will make smoother shadows (meaning fewer blotchy
spots/artifacts).