POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : how can i run povray on a dual-core? : Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 03:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 14 Aug 2006 13:24:54
Message: <44e0b1e6$1@news.povray.org>
> I think that would depend on the comparitive niceness levels, though,
> wouldn't it?

	Of course.

> I still get some jerkiness in the
> graphics in the game, but it's not as pronounced.

	If you give the lowest priority to your POV-Ray job (+20), you should
get nearly the same effect as suspending it.  But not quite, as it would still
get maybe 1-2% of the resources on average.

> I've never observed POV-Ray automatically yielding processor to whatever
> other applications are running on the system or tuning it's
> niceness/priority level in the system.

	AFAIK only the OS - say the user on top of it - can do that in a Unix environment.
	(Honestly I never looked at this possibility.)

	- NC