POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Building a house efficiently : Re: Building a house efficiently Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a house efficiently
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Aug 2006 11:21:26
Message: <44df4376$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message
> The technique is fantastic in Inkscape!
>
> I had an bitmap image of (part of) the plan of the ancient city of Mohenjo
> Daro in Pakistan. Until now, I had used it as a height_field (not really
> satisfactory). In Inkscape, I used the trace function and exported the
> result to POV-Ray, and Lo! within minutes I had a 3D view of the
> archeological remains of the city!
>
> I'll post an image when it finishes rendering.
>
> Thanks Chris for this tip!!
>
> Thomas

Glad you're finding it useful.
I did the same sort of thing using Inkscapes edge detection with a plan of a
maze and got a reasonable result in minutes.

I've written up the technique for doing floor plans and intend to put it up
on an Internet site soon. I've written some macros that add windows, doors,
lights and stuff so I'll post them too.

Regards,
Chris B.