POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Memory parse error : Re: Memory parse error Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory parse error
From: Alain
Date: 12 Aug 2006 10:10:09
Message: <44dde141$1@news.povray.org>
Mike8 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/08/2006 20:27:
>> By larger than 6Mb, do you mean the source file?
>> Are there objects that are generated proceduraly? If so, how many? It's easy to
have some millions of objects that wa
> y.
>> Try rendering with the task manager open. How much does the process
>> "pvengine.exe" use? Maybe that during the parsing process you need more than the
>> maximum amount of memory that windows can allocate to a single process. If I
>> remember correctly, it's about 2 Gig, up to 3 with some tweaks.
>> Increasing your virtual memory to 20 Gb can't help, as the OS can't cope with
>> more than 4 Gb, the limit imposed by the 32 bits architecture, any more than 3
>> Gb is just a waste of disk space.
>> You can try rendering with the -d switch to suppress the render window and free
>> the memory it use. Usefull if you render very large images.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> Error in operator: add beer
>
> Hello,
>   Thank you for the advice. Yes, the source file is slightly larger than
> 6MB. I will try disabling the render window. The povengine process uses at
> peak 840,000 kilobytes for about 1 second, and then not over 80,000kb for
> the rest of the operation. I tried the render twice more, and when I
> stopped the render the second time, it did show me a line of offending
> code, though I can't tell if it's incorrect or not. How do I make the
> 'tweaks' to
> the system's virtual memory?
Personaly, I don't know, other than setting it's total volume. Other peoples
have mentioned it.

> And what do you mean 'objects generated
> proceduraly'? Thanks for your help,
>    Michael

Objects generated in loops. Also, hight_fields from pigments or functions. CSG
objects that are generated with some macro or having loop(s) in the deffinition.
Those don't takes much place in the source, but can take a HUGE place in memory.

--
Alain
Darwinism: This shit was once food.