POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using A GIF for a background : Re: Using A GIF for a background Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using A GIF for a background
From: Alain
Date: 10 Aug 2006 19:28:08
Message: <44dbc108@news.povray.org>
zombiebhp2 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/08/2006 14:05:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> bri### [at] hotmailcom nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 26/07/2006 11:29:
>>> I was starting a graphic and I wanted to use a photograph that I converted
>>> into a GIF. How is it possible to make a Gif into a background and put a
>>> metal sphere or another object into the foreground making it look like the
>>> GIF in the background all fits together realistically, so it looks like all
>>> one picture. Appreciate your attention.               Brian
>>>

>> Place a large box behind all objects in your scene.
>> Apply your image as an image_map. Scale it to fit. The image start as an 1*1 tile.
>> Give it finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0} to prevent it from catching shadows. This
>> makes it ignore all light in the scene and be visible.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.
> Thank You, Alain. How would this look typed on the POV program itself?
> Please Help. I need a book named POV for dummies.
> Brian

Assuming that all objects are no farther that +100 units along the +z axis and
that the camera is somewhere back along the same axis and looking toward +z.
With comments:

box{<1000,1000,100><-1000,-1000,101> // a large box
	image_map{gif "your gif.gif" // place the image from 0,0 to 1,1
		translate<-0.5,-0.5,0>// center it around the z axis
		scale<2000,2000,1> // stretch it to cover the whole box.
//adjust the scale values as needed
		}
	finish{ambient 1 // make it fully illuminated
		diffuse 0} // independent of actual illumination, don't catch shadows
	}
Obviously, if your image is not square, you need to change the scaling factor to
equal it's original proportions.

--
Alain
Fundamentalism: Shit must be born again.