POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Warp
Date: 10 Aug 2006 17:15:40
Message: <44dba1fb@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> And, I might add, it shouldn't be necessary for us POV users to
> have to become computer scientists or programming/architecture experts just
> in order to understand why 64-bit POV on a 64-bit machine is faster (or
> slower) than the 32-bit one.

  If someone doesn't understand the difference between a 32-bit and a
64-bit processor and has the misconception that the latter will be
twice (or at least considerably) faster than the former and makes a
buying decision based on that misconception, he is up to a disappointment.
  I don't think it's a bad thing to know the real difference.

--
                                                          - Warp