POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vegetation simulation WIP 2 : Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2 Server Time
13 May 2024 02:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 10 Aug 2006 14:16:29
Message: <44db77fd$1@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
> It' s really easy -
>
> 1. define random points (plants) within a square, each with age and size
> 2. check neighborhood of your points
> 3. define new size dependent on
>   - old size
>   - influences of same species
>   - influences of other species
>   - influence of water sensitivity, light, roots...
>   - a small growth step
> 4. raise age
> 5. substitute old or small plants by others with age zero
> 6. goto step 2
>
> After about 40 iterations you have your results.

I only recently tried to actually understand what's going on here, even
though I was overwhelmed by the results of the simulation.  Anyway, this
explanation made the most sense to me.  Or perhaps it's the only explanation
which made sense to me, not exactly sure.  ;-)

I hope that you're continuing work on this.  Personally, I have always loved
the idea of "letting it happen" in POV-Ray, rather than having to
meticulously manage every minute detail of a scene.  This certainly seems
like a step in that direction.  Plus, I've always loved outdoor scenes.

This has made me decide to start actively POVing again.  Thanks for that!
:-)