POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Local rotations : Re: Local rotations Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Local rotations
From: Chris B
Date: 8 Aug 2006 18:46:39
Message: <44d9144f@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>I have an application (an engineering question at work!) where I have to
> create a simulation based on rotation of vectors.  The only problem is
> that
> it's a specifically defined Euler system where each subsequent rotation is
> done on the "local", not the "universal" axis of the cube.
>
> My head keeps exploding when I try to grasp how to do this in povray.
>
> Any tips (especially references with visual clues)?  thanks in advance.

Hi Greg,

Sorry if I've misunderstood the question, but can't you just apply the
rotations in the reverse sequence?

So, if you're doing an animation where you first rotate around y by 70
degrees then round z by 20 degrees relative to the new position of the
object, and you're doing the frame that's half way through the second
rotation you would rotate first by 10 degrees around z, then by 70 degrees
around y, all with respect to the universal axes.

Regards,
Chris.