POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Alain
Date: 8 Aug 2006 09:29:56
Message: <44d891d4@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08/08/2006 05:46:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> OK then. So, as long as your results STAY in the FPU and you keep on reusing
>> them, you can keep an improved acuracy. But, as soon as you need to put your
>> results anywhere else, you fall back to 64 bits acuracy.
>
>   Not really. You can store the numbers in memory using the 80-bit
> accuracy. In C/C++ you can usually do that with the 'long double' type.
>
>   I don't know, however, if there's a speed penalty in storing/reading
> memory in units larger than 64 bits...

Probably, one more write/read operation. You also have word alignment concerns,
the extra 16 bits = 1/2 word, 1/4 word on 64 bit platform.
How long before we get quad, 128 bit, precision FPU?

--
Alain
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.