POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 5 Aug 2006 03:54:32
Message: <44d44eb8@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I was just asking, out of curiosity, what is it that makes some people
> believe that a 64-bit system should/might be twice as fast (or just faster
> by some degrees) than an equivalent 32-bit system.

It has lately been common to explain that the CPU MHz doesn't actually
tell the speed of the computer, but just part of it. While most PC-users
has never heard of eg. Sun Ultrasparcs, the AMD64 is the first 64-bit
system to them. And like you said, it has a bunch of features to run
faster. Optimizing in 64-bit mode, yes, but also eg. the integrated
memory controller. Opteron handles memory a _lot_ faster than same aged
Xeon.

That's one thing to make 64bit faster than 32bit - in people's mind.
Just my 2 cents.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net