POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Ger
Date: 1 Aug 2006 05:29:27
Message: <44cf1ef6@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> Given all everybody has said - why the heck use 64bit processors with Pov
> -at all- then?
>
> What I've gathered so far:
>
> - They're slower,
Nope, they are faster simply because they are newer
Core development gives more efficient cores

> using bigger pointers
Yes

> that take longer to manage
Nope, the pointers are bigger but the memory path is wider

> - They don't give much benefit to PovRay - 32 bit processors already have
> enough accuracy
> - They don't have the capability (yet) of doubling the amount of memory
They handle magnitudes more memory then a 32bit system.
See my previous post. Try running a 22Gb render in 32bit.

> you can actually use, due to hardware limitations in memory management,
> so the ability of adressing more memory is moot?
>
> What's the point then? Where I live 64bit systems are incredibly
> expensive, and given the thread I'm sure not making the investment of
> upgrading.
I can't argue your point in costs because I don't know what 64bit systems
cost where you live, but here it's close to a no-brainer.

> Sure, its naieve, stupid, shortsighted or whatever to think 64
> versus 32 is "twice" anything (my apologies for apparently severely
> offending people for even thinking that) so why use them? If you're not
> going to be cracking cyphers, and there is virtually no benefit at all to
> raytracing on the things instead of on 32 bit systems?

benefits are more speed and more memory
--
Ger