POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) : Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 31 Jul 2006 22:53:41
Message: <44cec235$1@news.povray.org>
"CdeathJd" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.44ce8ad119e69c80e2e0912a0@news.povray.org...
> I'm using povray v3.6
> im trying to make something of a rollercoaster, but cant figure it out at
> all. I have a height field, n some atmospheric stuff in my scene, i also
> have a start point and an end point. I also have a section of "track". Up
> to this, everything is fine, but after this, povray refuses to work right,
> i dont know why. In other programming languages, everything is fine, but
> pov-ray wont compute!.
>
> The way i understand making the track to be:
> You have your first section, then your second section of track, which you
> position over the first section, then turn it a little in either x,y,z or
> either, in small amounts, then you move the piece forward repeat untill
> your track is made.

It certainly should be possible, you just need to understand how pov SDL
works with respect to objects.  Objects don't have their own local origin
which they rotate and scale around, this is all done relative to the origin
<0,0,0> no matter where in the scene the object is.  So you must think how
the piece is made relative to the origin.  Typically, you would make the
pieces at the origin, rotate them appriately, then move them to thier proper
location.  You can also build sections of the track like this in groups,
then rotate and move the whole group to it's final location, depending upon
your particular needs.

-tgq

PS: Never assume something can't be done in POV.  Us hardcore POVers will do
our best to try to find a solution no matter how simple or complex or die
trying :D