POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Ger
Date: 31 Jul 2006 09:03:09
Message: <44cdff8d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Ger wrote:
>> About 20-30% speed increase should be typical
>
>    Should be typical on which processor?

Like I said, "I will get my head slapped" :)
But on my setup, which is an AMD64 X2 3800+ , the measured differences were
in that range.

>    A 64-bit binary in a Sun Sparc is not faster than a 32-bit binary.
> The same is probably true in a Macintosh.
>    In the AMD64 there's a speedup when running 64-bit binaries, but
> that speedup has basically nothing to do with the amount of bits.

Running 64bit Suse here and then there's a definite difference between
the "stock" 32bit binary and a self compiled 64bit version

>> Under 32bit OS your max-mem is 3Gb
>
>    This is based on what? Which OS?

The only comparisons that I can make are between the various Linux versions
I have running here.

>> under 64bit it's 2^64 which is huge.
>
>    Current hardware probably puts a limit and 2^64 bytes of RAM
> is (in current hardware) not possible.

Agreed, hardware limits how far you can go. The OS however doesn't cut you
short on how far you can take it.
--
Ger