POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Ger
Date: 30 Jul 2006 06:18:19
Message: <44cc876b@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> What exactly are the real world benefits?
>
> I'm supposing it doesn't render twice as fast, but you can address more
> RAM (double the address size limit?), thus allowing for bigger and more
> complex renders?

About 20-30% speed increase should be typical but having said that I know
I'm gonna get my head slapped because those figures depend heavily on what
you're rendering.

Under 32bit OS your max-mem is 3Gb, under 64bit it's 2^64 which is huge.
I have run renders as large as 22Gb. (With 4Gb internal memory)

--
Ger