POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Results are in....! : Re: Results are in....! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:47:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Results are in....!
From: scott
Date: 10 Jul 2006 12:48:21
Message: <44b284d5@news.povray.org>
> Its hard to me to award technical merit to meshes, unless that mesh
> was developed using some means other than simply a modeller.

Oh ok, well I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this point :-D  But
I do think you are taking the view of a programmer/scripter which a lot of
people aren't and can't do.

If someone has made a very good mesh using just a modeller (or any other
method) then I will give them high technical merit.  I use "artistic merit"
for things like composition, lighting, colours uesd while trying to ignore
how technically good a mesh or CSG is.

As an example, someone could make a "car" out of 10 objects in POV SDL and I
would give them a low technical merit score.  But if they had a very nice
composition, with good lighting and just a good "balance" to the picture
then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a high artistic merit.

On the other hand, if someone made a professional looking 5M poly mesh of a
car and just rendered it on a white plane with a spotlight, they would get
very high technical merit and almost zero artistic from me.