POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity and parallel processing? : Re: Radiosity and parallel processing? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and parallel processing?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Jul 2006 02:10:25
Message: <44b1ef51@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> jhu wrote:
>>> Can the radiosity data be collected in parallel
>>   No.
>
> Out of curiousity, is this a technical limitation or a theoretical one?
> I.e., would it be possible for someone with enough knowlege to recode
> the same basic algorithm but make it distributable? Or is the algorithm
> inherently only serial?

If using the exact same algorithm, it is not possible. However, (complex)
variations of the algorithm do not necessarily have to depend on certain
serial requirements. The serial aspect is related to the data structure used
to store gathered samples, which at the same time are used as feedback for
later samples (i.e. if to gather or reuse samples). naturally, this depends
on the order of insertions in the current algorithm.

	Thorsten