POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Modeling a diffuse object with photon mapping and a lens : Re: Modeling a diffuse object with photon mapping and a lens Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:49:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeling a diffuse object with photon mapping and a lens
From: Alain
Date: 8 Jul 2006 16:19:21
Message: <44b01349@news.povray.org>
anidonu nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08/07/2006 10:15:
> Alain,
>
> I used cylindrical lenses just for amusement.  You may care to visit my
> web-site 'donzoptix.co.uk' to see some of my work with complex optical
> systems, including multi-element zooming lenses and aspherical surfaces.
>
> So....have you actually created with a lens an image of a glowing slide,
> using double-illuminate and radiosity?
>
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> Alain nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 06/07/2006 13:24:
>> After further testing, and remembering another post, I came up with another
solution:
>> 1 - Remove all photons from the scene.
>> 2 - Remove all lights.
>> 3 - Give your slide a high ambient like finish{ambient 5} and remove the transmit.
>> 4 - Add this in the global_settings: radiosity{count 150}
>> You may also use a spot light that illuminate the slide from it's front, or a light
at the back and
>> use double_illuminate for the slide.
>>
>> Note: two crossed plano-cylindrical lences are not good at generating an image,
beter to use a
>> plano-spherical one.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH
you.

Kind of.
My radiosity settings are:
radiosity{count 1600 pretrace_start 0.04 pretrace_end 0.005 low_error_factor 0.2
nearest_count 10}
Slide set with ambient 1500. Slightly altered colour_map: whider coloured areas
separated by narow
black strips. Circular lense.
Still prety fuzzy. Also, some strange colour changes as the screen moves away, one
frame is mostly
green, the next is magenta.

In my current tests, I don't use any light, only radiosity and high ambient for the
slide.

--
Alain
No matter how much you do, you never do enough.