POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Advanced metals libraries needed : Re: Advanced metals libraries needed Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:46:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advanced metals libraries needed
From: Jim Charter
Date: 8 Jul 2006 16:12:11
Message: <44b0119b$1@news.povray.org>
Marvin wrote:
> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
>
>>In article <web.44af9a9dd4b4ed7f73cc178a0@news.povray.org>,
>>
>>in real life, reflectives surfaces reflects world...
>

> Nice observation :-)
>
> But, see, the iron from feromagnetic cores is usually different, unlike INOX
> or stainless steel, it has a lot of silicon inside to reduce heating from
> magnetic induction, and therefore it is less reflective, in fact almost not
> at all, except for polish.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem or obstacle and overcome with a
> solution?
>
> Thank you, and please save me through the day. There are objection to models
> re: how much mroe realistic it looks with 3D MAX predefined material libs,
> and our project still isn't aproved. I need something to knock them out of
> the chairs to get funding and some decent equipment.
>
> Marvin

do you have the 3D Max example?

right now from what you posted I find the higher reflection model more
persuasive.

I am not sure if you follow these groups but the blurred
reflection/brushed metal reflection/partial reflection problem has a
long history.  Attempts to get a "universal solution" by trying to
model the effect in a literal way, such as Jaime Vives Piqueres'
solution, yield pretty good results for a subset of situations.  I also
just read where Rune has a solution for brushed copper. It was mentioned
by Phil Brewer, the winner of the Music round in his txt file:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2006-04-30/cacoph.txt

There have been many other contributions to solve the problem.

In my own experience I find that adjusting the finish, sometimes in
extreme ways, in conjuction with the lighting gets close. Recently I was
struggling with the problem for a chalice I was rendering and found that
the background to reflect issue, mentioned in this thread also, had a
huge effect.

Have you fully explored the possibilities of the finish {} and
reflection {} statements, including fresnel with ior and so on?