POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Had a thought.. : Re: Had a thought.. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Had a thought..
From: Alain
Date: 30 Jun 2006 21:10:14
Message: <44a5cb76$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 30/06/2006 16:59:
> In article <44a46aca$1@news.povray.org>, ele### [at] netscapenet
> says...
>> Patrick Elliott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 29/06/2006 16:22:
>>
>> Why don't you use parallel in the light's description? It makes all the rays of
light effectively
>> parallel, thus simulating a light source that is situated at "infinity".
>> light_source{Location, Colour parallel point_at PointAt}
>>
> Umm. Other than not realizing that existed... lol Still, you might be
> able to do a lot more with my concept, for example, a point source is a)
> not an accurate presentation of the sun, b) not sized right and c)
> doesn't add any light from the sky itself. What I was thinking in terms
> of was a light that could be made to have a bright center, a quick fall
> off near its edge, but the rest of the sky still "bright" from it,
> though faded towards the far edges of the horizon. The theory being that
> for some cases, this might give more control over what it actually
> produces. As things currently stand, any light will tend to effect a
> sky_sphere more or less equally across its entire surface, which it
> seems to me isn't quite right.
NO! sky_sphere is a "background" feature, not a proper object.
It don't react to light, it's like an object with: finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0}

> Anyway, it was just an idea. I think it could be used to do some
> interesting stuff, maybe.

A parallel light can also be an area_light or a spot_light. It can also be
projected_through some
object. You should read the documentations about light_source, completely: 3.4.7
Light Sources
If you want the sky/sky_sphere to contribute to the overall lighting, you should use
radiosity.
Another option is to use a shadowless fill light.
Have a sky_sphere, or a realy large "world sphere" with a pattern that match what you
want and use
radiosity. Please read: 3.3.4  Radiosity

--
Alain
Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.