POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 'Outline' capability : Re: POV 'Outline' capability Server Time
29 Apr 2024 03:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 'Outline' capability
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 14 Jun 2006 04:35:47
Message: <448fca63@news.povray.org>
peter wrote:
> As a newbie, this may seem like a strange question: Is there anyway to draw
> an outline (say 1+ pixel) around objects while (possibly even after) drawing
> them?  I know this seems contrary to what raytracing does (realistic
> renderings), but I want to do the outline for effect.

To complete the answers and links given by the others, there are indeed
some methods to get object outline. In addition to the links given by
Trevor G Qayle, you can :

- use my edgemacro macro (I have posted the necessary includes recently
in p.b.scene-files). It works nicely for any geometry, but is limited to
mesh objects, and there is some work needed to be able to use it with a
given object.

- use megapov "find edges" post process (see the link above, in the
answer to Mike Williams). Works with any object and scene. Main weakness
: really slow (even for very simple scene), and it is difficult to get
rid of antialiasing for the outline

- use the "angle of incidence" technique (again requires megapov). This
method is quite simple to implement, and works well for smooth round
shapes, but it is difficult to get good results when you have more
complex shapes. You can see a nice image made by Lightbeam with this
technique at
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41f7e1ab@news.povray.org%3E/
with the scene-file at :
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C41f9190a@news.povray.org%3E/us-ascii?ttop=216485&toff=50