POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 'Outline' capability : Re: POV 'Outline' capability Server Time
29 Apr 2024 03:00:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 'Outline' capability
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 13 Jun 2006 19:08:01
Message: <448f4551$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
 > A possibility is to surround the objects that you want to outline with
 > a very slightly larger, transparent version of itself. That object is
 > set to rgbt 1 pigment. The trick is to use fade_distance <small
 > value>,  fade_color rgb 0 and fade_power 999. The fade_distance must
 > be very close, but larger, to the size difference, or thickness of the
 > "shell".
 > Getting everything OK is prety tricky, as you can go from a nearly
 > invisible shell to an opaque one with some very small changes.
 > I've tried it and it CAN work at least in some cases. Almost
 > impossible to set up when the object have any reflection.

If you've already got the entire object in slightly larger size, it
might suffice to use texture and interior_texture : a transparent
texture, but a black interior_texture. Won't work that good for
reflections though, probably only for objects as seen from the camera.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"