POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fog and Media sphere : Re: Fog and Media sphere Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog and Media sphere
From: gonzo
Date: 7 Jun 2006 22:54:40
Message: <44879170@news.povray.org>
Francis wrote:

> I want a fire in my fog :-)
> The problem is that my sphere containing the media is visible in the fog :
> http://www.chezgligli.net/img/light_fog_01.jpg
>
> I had the same problem with the water reflection and no fog, but with
> max_trace_level 10 it disappeared :
> http://www.chezgligli.net/img/light_fog_02.jpg
>
> Hope someone can help ;-)
>

> #if(Brouillard)
>     fog
>     {
>         distance 8
>         color rgbf<.8, .9, .8, 1>
>         fog_type 2
>         fog_offset 2
>         fog_alt 1
>         turbulence <1, 1, 1>
>         turb_depth .8
>         octaves .2
>         lambda .5
>         omega 1
>     }
> #end

Remove the filter component from your fog color and it should work, i.e.
"color rgb<.8, .9, .8>".

I forget the long explanation behind this, but I had the same issue for
my "mystery lights" IRTC entry, and there was a good description posted
here when I asked.  The final answer though was that fog with a filter
component results in an incorrect calculation along the length of the
ray so you end up seeing the media container.

RG