POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blurred reflections, radiosity fade power, add filter : Re: blurred reflections, radiosity fade power, add filter Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blurred reflections, radiosity fade power, add filter
From: Alain
Date: 31 May 2006 21:08:59
Message: <447e3e2b$1@news.povray.org>
Raf256 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 28/05/2006 21:49:
> Hello,
> after ~year of beeing too bussy to use [seriously] PovRAY,
> I have few questions now when I try to go back to using it :)
>
> 1) blurred reflection - I see it is suggested (in FAQ) to use several normal
> patterns (or textures) and strong antialias.
> How about using the old method - because I think it might benefit in speed,
> by using adaptive number of samples (same as in camera focal blur). The AA
> of entire image is not as good probably
You have 2 options here, both using averaged normal_map:
1 - some normal, scaled very small and randomly moved a small amount. Good with AA on.
2 - some normal, scaled large to very large randomly moved a large or very large
amount. Better
result without AA.
You can combine the 2, using multiple pairs of normals, one small scale, one large
scale, but my
testing showed somewhat unsastifactory results.

> 2) radiosity and light fading - natural light behaves like with fade_power 2
> right? What about the radiosity? It is calculate in such way that in
> example wall lighted directly by a light source will light other objects
> correctyl (acting a bit like light source with fade_power 2)?
You don't have do do anything, it's automatic due to the way radiosity works. In fact,
a very long
and narrow, bright object will have an effective fade_power of 1 as in real life and a
plane will
have fade_power 0 (illumination independent to distance).
During my physics cources, I saw the demonstration and formulas showing that.

--
Alain
Everything can be filed under “miscellaneous”.