POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Max. Image Size : Re: Feature Request: Max. Image Size Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Max. Image Size
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 May 2006 03:10:32
Message: <447befe8@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have a scene which contains some external JPEG graphic files. My aatempts
> to render the scene fail, due a lack of RAM (I only have 1.25 GB).

If POV-Ray fails due to lack of memory, it is due to *hardware* limitations.
Operating systems for 32 bit hardware make 2-3 GB of the maximum 4 GB
physically addressable available to a user program. If your scene does not
fit, you cannot render it, and there is nothing POV-Ray can do about it.

Further, POV-Ray cannot tell you how much memory it would need because it
never actually can parse the whole scene. You are asking for information
POV-Ray cannot give you without parsing the whole scene, which it cannot
exactly because you do have insufficient memory. As such, it is simply a
paradox to request POV-Ray to provide you with this information.

	Thorsten