POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pigment_Map: Spherical Filling : Re: Pigment_Map: Spherical Filling Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigment_Map: Spherical Filling
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 27 May 2006 23:00:17
Message: <44791241$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Marc,
>
> thanks for your hint! I truly don't new about that keyword. Well, I tried
> out, but have no success yet. What do I wrong?
>
> sphere
> {
>  < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 > 1.0
>  pigment
>  {
>   spherical
>   pigment_map
>   {
>    [ 0.0000 Clear ]
>    [ 1.0000 Blue ]
>   }
>  }
>  finish { ambient 0.0 }
>  scale 1.0075
> }
>
> Sven

Well, you're only showing the surface of the object.  As Warp said, you
probably want media inside it.

However, to see the effect of the pattern more easily, try this:

camera {
	location -z*3
	look_at 0
}

intersection {
	sphere {0, 2}
	box {<-2,-2,0>, 2}
	pigment {
		spherical
		color_map {
			[0 color rgb y]
			[1 color rgb z]
		}
	}
	finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}
}

This will show quite clearly a transtion from green to blue (you don't
need any lights to see it either, because of the ambient) and hopefully
allow you to grasp the function better.

Also, you might wonder why I used a sphere with a radius of 2: to allow
you to see the effect of the function past the boundary (distance 1 from
origin).  If you'd like a repeating pattern, replace spherical with
onion, and rerender.  You'll see the pattern repeated twice.

...Chambers