POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lights only in shadows? : Lights only in shadows? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Lights only in shadows?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 27 May 2006 12:19:07
Message: <44787bfb$1@news.povray.org>
Greetings again!

I am searching for a way to have lights (ambient 1.0) only in shadow regions
of a planet. Does anyone know a way to do that?

At the moment, I have a made a planet out of three layers: the planet itself
(a sphere with a high-resolution image map), another sphere with a
semi-transparent PNG map at ambient 1.0 for the city lights, and a sphere
with a semi-transparent PNG map for the clouds.

Altogether, it looks quite okay, but with this technology there are lights
on the dayside of mother earth, as well. And I really would prefer if my
citizens would prefer to "save energy" on the dayside...

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Sven