POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : First post - animation : Re: First post - animation Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First post - animation
From: Tom Austin
Date: 25 May 2006 15:03:06
Message: <4475ff6a$1@news.povray.org>
How Camp wrote:
> "Tom Austin" <taustin> wrote in message news:4474ae2b$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> Using a 3D area laser scanner, separate 'scans' are collected at each
>> location.
>

> Forgive the questions, but:  What sort of laser, how long does a typical
> scan take, and what's the maximum resolution?

	It's a time of flight laser that can gather about 20,000 data points a
second.  It scans in a spherical grid (2 angles & a range).  The
scanning window is about 80 degrees vertical and 340 horizontal.
Each of the scans in this animation is over 2 million data points - each
raw scan file is over 17Mb.  A scan takes about 6 minutes to complete at
this resolution.  The data is good to about 1/2 inch.

> I don't suppose each scan has an absolute position reference?  You must know
> something about their positions relative to each other, obviously, or you
> wouldn't have been able to generate the fly-through like you did.

We do not know anything about the positions of the scans in relation to
each other except a hand sketch for rough positioning.  We have some
software that neatly aligns the data automatically.  All we need to do
is give it a very rough starting point.

Using survey points, we were able to align the data in a real coordinate
system.

> Warp has dealt with meshes quite a bit, perhaps he's got some ideas for
> joining them together...

maybe....

LAter... Tom