POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Images as surface textures : Re: Images as surface textures Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Images as surface textures
From: Slime
Date: 24 May 2006 03:59:48
Message: <44741274@news.povray.org>
> (Even if someone developed a way
> to keep the images compressed on memory and only decompressing them as
> needed, that would make the rendering quite a lot slower, not faster as
> you seem to believe.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Texture_Compression

I'm mostly pointing this out as a point of interest; I'm not sure how useful
it would be in software (considering the speed loss you mention). You can
use it to store an n by n image in the amount of memory that an n/2 by n/2
image would take, with a small but noticeable loss in quality. Naturally, a
cache can help improve speed.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]