POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lens Design with POV ? : Re: Lens Design with POV ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens Design with POV ?
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 21 May 2006 19:20:07
Message: <4470f5a7@news.povray.org>
PM 2Ring wrote:
> Many people require a toric prescription to correct for astigmatism, but I
> wouldn't say it was a majority. I take orders for contact lenses for one of
> the world-leading manufacturers, and we sell a lot of toric lenses
> (especially after recent improvements in the technology), but most of the
> orders are spheric lenses to correct for short-sightedness. Of course, the
> story for spectacles could be different, but severe astigmatism is pretty
> rare.

I don't know how rare it is, but I am one who needs astigmatism
correction as well as for myopia (near-sightedness).  But a few years
back, I dropped my glasses (standard glasses, not contacts) and one of
the lenses cracked, so I went to my optomitrist for a replacement.  Took
about a week to have it made.  In that time I was still using this
cracked lens -- a minor annoyance but no big deal.  When I got the
replacement lens, my first look through it seemed very odd.  The doctor
re-checked the prescription and said the yes, it was the right
prescription -- but rotated 90 degrees!  I had to use that offset lens
for the next week while a proper replacement could be made.  Boy! what a
strange sensation -- when I walked it felt like I was leaning over at an
angle.  :-)  All turned out okay eventually, of course, but it was sure
a strange feeling during that time.

      -=- Larry -=-