POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism : Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism Server Time
8 May 2024 17:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism
From: How Camp
Date: 16 May 2006 07:00:41
Message: <4469b0d9$1@news.povray.org>
"Bob H" <omniverse@charter%net> wrote in message
news:44691fb6$1@news.povray.org...
> I've always thought there's an interesting thing about 2D drawings being
> used to show 3D objects. Well, more of a strange hypothesis probably.
> Consider the cave paintings of prehistoric people, for example. Often a
> very 2D look to them. Always made me think about whether that was due to a
> lack of understanding 3D or if, instead, there might be some kind of
> crucial factor to converting from 3D to 2D. I know people think of 2D as
> simple, kids begin by drawing lines and flat colors, but think about the
> conversion involved to go from 3D objects to 2D surfaces as a way to
> represent things. Maybe a voluntary reduction in perception?

It's been a (long) while, but if I recall my Art History course back in
undergrad, I vaguely recollect a textbook mentioning that it wasn't a lack
of ability to produce 3D artwork, it was the style of the time that produced
many of the flat Egyptian-pyramid-like drawings.  So, I would agree with
your 'voluntary reduction in perception' hypothesis...

Dunno, maybe that's way off base, but my swiss-cheese memory seems to recall
such.

- How