POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism : Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism Server Time
8 May 2024 10:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism
From: Bob H
Date: 15 May 2006 20:41:26
Message: <44691fb6$1@news.povray.org>
I've always thought there's an interesting thing about 2D drawings being
used to show 3D objects. Well, more of a strange hypothesis probably.
Consider the cave paintings of prehistoric people, for example. Often a very
2D look to them. Always made me think about whether that was due to a lack
of understanding 3D or if, instead, there might be some kind of crucial
factor to converting from 3D to 2D. I know people think of 2D as simple,
kids begin by drawing lines and flat colors, but think about the conversion
involved to go from 3D objects to 2D surfaces as a way to represent things.
Maybe a voluntary reduction in perception? Shapes reduced in dimension must
be some kind of effort, right? I just think it could be possible that 3D
representations might seem incoherent when thought of as a depiction of
something, 2D displays more info in a certain way. Spear-holding person
about to throw at mammoth in a direction away from or toward viewer equals
no spear to see.

Although, I must admit, that mobious in 2D wasn't such a thing until I read
or saw the next picture.

All that aside, great bit of POV-Ray at work there, Paul.

Bob