POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 15 May 2006 11:17:40
Message: <44689b94@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:

>>An excellent idea!
>>
>>Another thought:  There are times when a particular discussion/question in
>>"general" or "advanced" begs for an image to be presented *there*, to
>>clarify the concepts being discussed.   Currently (as I understand it) such
>>an image should instead be posted in  "binaries:images" ...which seems
>>somewhat "out of place" to me (and necessitates cross-referencing in both
>>categories--not to mention the possibility of follow-up discussions being
>>split between both locations.)  "binaries:images" is, to my mind, a place
>>for WIPS and finished work.  An image associated with a question should
>>logically be consolidated into one post. I suppose what I'm getting at is a
>>more open policy toward posting an image --when necessary -- in the
>>"general" or "advanced" sections. This IS done every now and then, but I've
>>always assumed the practice to be frowned upon. Clarifying or relaxing that
>>policy would be helpful.
>>

>I believe the reason for this was to accomodate people with dial-up.  This
>way they don't need to worry about long hitting long DL times when chacking
>a text-only group.  I know a lot more people have high-speed these days, but
>I'm sure there are still some out there using dial-up, so I'm not sure if
>this is a good idea for that reason.
>
>-tgq

Dialup here, little chance of improvement in the near future...

But I wonder if it might be practical to allow _small_ images in
text-only groups (perhaps a 100 kb limit), with the file size clearly
stated in the subject line, like "My bizarre pic [40 kb]."  Where a
larger image is needed to fully depict the issue at hand, then p.b.i.
could be used.

Those who abused the privilege would, of course, be required to
participate in the Fish Slapping Dance.

Opinions?

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+