POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 May 2006 15:13:01
Message: <4467813d$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>
>>A small group of enthusiastic volunteers has started to go through the
>>links
>>from the POV-Ray links pages to track down broken links and validate the
>>descriptions. Once we've got the links data up to date it'll be loaded
>>onto the web site, which is currently a couple of years out of date.
>>
>>We're also looking at re-organising the categories to make the links pages
>>easier to use and maintain. I've posted a couple of diagrams on
>>'povray.binaries' in the thread entitled 'POV-Ray link Categories' see
>>http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4464518c%40news.povray.org%3E/.
>>
>>Please take a look and see if you think this is likely to meet your own
>>needs and those of newcomers to POV-Ray.
>>The aim is to finalise a design by the end of May.
>>Please use this thread to contribute to the discussion.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chris B.
>>

> Hey Guys,
>
> We seem to be getting hung up on the first paragraph (intended to just
> introduce what's happening). The main intention of this posting was to
> promote discussion on the re-organisation of the Categorisations and the
> Hierarchical organisation of the links pages on the povray.org site. See
> paragraphs 2 and 3 above. Whether we update the links manually,
> automatically, monthly or yearly, we'll need to structure the links in a way
> that meets the needs of the people wanting to use them. I'm proposing
> changes to a number of aspects of the structure and would appreciate
> feedback about whether people think these changes are a good or bad idea.
>
>   o   The current structure for example has a category for 'Include Files',
> one for 'Macros' and one for 'Objects'. Although this may at first seem
> logical, many Object definitions and Macro definitions are contained in
> Include files and many Macros generate Objects. I've therefore suggested
> that these 3 sections be merged.
>
>   o   In the hierarchy that I'm proposing, I've tried to reduce the number
> of levels so that most links are displayed in less clicks of the mouse.
>
>   o   I've proposed some radical trimming down of content in some areas,
> with some categories being removed and with some others where the current
> links would mostly be removed and replaced with a small number of links that
> would hardly ever need to be changed. We would then be able to increase the
> number of links to POV-Ray specific content without things getting out of
> hand.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
> (Anyone having problems displaying the diagrams?)
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Hi Chris, I am studing on your heirarchy.  Taking some time to digest it
but on surface it looks great.  From my experience chasing down my
links, I had one brief thought.  I wondered if there might be some use
to a class of documents termed "of historical interest."  A brief,
semi-formed thought though.  Will have my allocation back to you by end
of day.  Just waiting to see if some sites might come back up.