POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg
From: Chris B
Date: 14 May 2006 05:07:39
Message: <4466f35b$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4464518c%40news.povray.org%3E/.

> Please take a look and see if you think this is likely to meet your own
> needs and those of newcomers to POV-Ray.
> The aim is to finalise a design by the end of May.
> Please use this thread to contribute to the discussion.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Hey Guys,

We seem to be getting hung up on the first paragraph (intended to just
introduce what's happening). The main intention of this posting was to
promote discussion on the re-organisation of the Categorisations and the
Hierarchical organisation of the links pages on the povray.org site. See
paragraphs 2 and 3 above. Whether we update the links manually,
automatically, monthly or yearly, we'll need to structure the links in a way
that meets the needs of the people wanting to use them. I'm proposing
changes to a number of aspects of the structure and would appreciate
feedback about whether people think these changes are a good or bad idea.

  o   The current structure for example has a category for 'Include Files',
one for 'Macros' and one for 'Objects'. Although this may at first seem
logical, many Object definitions and Macro definitions are contained in
Include files and many Macros generate Objects. I've therefore suggested
that these 3 sections be merged.

  o   In the hierarchy that I'm proposing, I've tried to reduce the number
of levels so that most links are displayed in less clicks of the mouse.

  o   I've proposed some radical trimming down of content in some areas,
with some categories being removed and with some others where the current
links would mostly be removed and replaced with a small number of links that
would hardly ever need to be changed. We would then be able to increase the
number of links to POV-Ray specific content without things getting out of
hand.

Any thoughts on this?
(Anyone having problems displaying the diagrams?)

Regards,
Chris B.