POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : ISF.RC (International Science Fiction Raytracing Competition) : Re: ISF.RC (International Science Fiction Raytracing Competition) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISF.RC (International Science Fiction Raytracing Competition)
From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2006 10:36:09
Message: <4460a8d8@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Maybe I am not understanding your point right, Warp. How can I (with a
> Windows system) have in my textures folder different graphic files with
> maybe the same name? If artists exchange their textures, it will come that
> they want to store their texture graphic files in their texture folder.

  I though this was an event where people can submit spaceship models as
include files which will be then rendered in one big scene. Since eg. the
textures of the model are intrinsicly bound to that model, why should the
author be worried about his texture names colliding with other texture
names? If I create an iron texture for my model, I see no reason why
I couldn't call it "Iron", as long as I declare it with #local in the
include file.

  If someone sees the rendered model and thinks "woah, that's a really
great iron texture" and wants to use it in his own models, I don't see
what stops him from copying the texture definition to his own project.
If the name "Iron" happens to collide with something he already has,
he can quite easily rename it.
  This is in no way different from me distributing some scene of mine.
Why should I worry if someone somewhere wants to use the same texture?
He can copy it and rename it if needed.
  I didn't think that "sharing textures" is the point in this event, but
to create spaceship models for a scene.

  IOW, I see no point in requiring people to use overly long and
cumbersome identifier names in their include file, as long as they
create the identifiers with #local.
  Naturally if someone *wants* to use unique long identifier names,
he is completely free to do so, but I see no point in requiring
everyone to do it.

--
                                                          - Warp